Directed by: Brad Radby
Starring: Ice Cube, Chris Rock, Gabrielle Union, Snoop Dogg, Angela Basset, Sydney Poitier, Mel Gibson
Critics Average: 1/5 Stars
Box Office (US): $41M
BRAD RADBY’S SYNOPSIS
At the start of the movie, Ice Cube is the anchor of his whole family, and they’re always saying things to him about their problems with money and honkies. One day, he can’t take it anymore, so he decides to take his wife and kids on a trip, and his wife is Gabrielle Union.
Cube’s family keeps stopping by and giving him things to take on the trip, and every time, it’s something with a story that teaches him why he should love his family, even if the thing is small like when his brother, who is Snoop Dogg, gives him a bag of doobies.
Cube’s neighbor, who is Mel Gibson, watches all this while he waters his lawn, and he can’t believe how many people come over! Like it’s so many, and sometimes Cube comes over and complains about all the stuff. Mel reminds him about the time when Mel’s wife died, and that he’s alone now, and so maybe family is okay to give hugs to.
That’s when Ice Cube’s cousin, who is Chris Rock, pulls up in his hoopty and makes urban jokes, and Cube goes back to packing the car, while he yells at Chris to turn down his hoopty’s radio. Then Cube’s dad, who is Sydney Poitier, brings him a broken TV for his trip, and when he’s handing it to him he gets the Big C.
Mel doesn’t like pizza bagels.
Everyone goes to the hospital, and it turns out the Big C has really got him bad, but Cube learns his lesson about loving his family. Everyone goes back to the house and packs up the car, and they take the trip together, as a nice urban family who are all different but the same, and that’s because the thing that’s the same is they love each other.
Mel’s wife comes back to life and that’s over the credits rolling, and she has one of Snoop’s special pipes.
BRAD RADBY’S PRODUCTION NOTES
1) Ice Cube is the anchor of the family and that’s why there’s a big anchor with a blue stripe in his front yard for the meme.
2) Bruce came to visit one day and maybe make up from our fighting, but he saw Mel and gave me a really hard punch on my shoulder.
3) Also that was the day Mel did his actoring about having a dead wife, so Bruce punched Mel on the shoulder even harder.
4) Snoop was really Method about his doobies, and like he had me be Method one day with him, and then a few days after that we were Method some more.
5) Every day I would tell Gabrielle, “Don’t leave the movie set without this!” and then I pointed at Snoop’s doobies, and the doobies were in my pocket. LOL!!!